I–look– forward– to this simple, traditional– cheese ball every– year. It has been– served– during family– Christmas– Eve parties since– before my time. The ingredients– are few and– inexpensive, and– might be– made year-round, but I reserve– this one special– appetizer for– the holidays– only to maintain– its specialness. I love– to serve Ritz crackers– with the cheese– ball to bring– out its savory– flavor.
- 1 1/2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 (2.5 ounce) package thinly sliced smoked beef, chopped
- 1 (2.25 ounce) can pimento-stuffed green olives, chopped
- 1 small Vidalia or other sweet onion, minced
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce, or to taste
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Prep 25 minutes
- Ready In 2h 25 minutes
- Mix the cream cheese, beef, olives, onion, and Worcestershire sauce together in a bowl until evenly blended. Keeping the mixture in the bowl, scrape it into a semi-ball shape. Cover, and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Place a large sheet of waxed paper on a flat surface. Sprinkle with walnuts. Roll the cheese ball in the walnuts until completely covered. Transfer the cheese ball to a serving plate, or rewrap with waxed paper and refrigerate until needed.
Per Serving: 180 calories; 17.3 g fat; 2.8 g carbohydrates; 4.9 g protein; 35 mg cholesterol; 293 mg sodium.